Thursday, November 29, 2012

Listening



Because I have injured myself running in the past and was faced with the real possibility of never running again after reconstructive foot surgery, I'm trying to pay more attention to how my body feels this time around. 

I'm actually listening to those little aches and pains instead of brushing them off like I usually do.  Novel idea, I know.

So how do you differentiate between the I-haven't-run-in-ten-years kind of pains and the this-could-turn-into-an-injury kind of pain?

I've had some terrible tightness/achiness in my right shin that wraps around the outside of my leg to my calf.  It's not a shin splint {thank goodness!}, it's still there but it's lessening a bit with each run, and it dissipates quickly after I finish my workout.  Hmmm...

Since I am only running 3 days a week with the 10k Runner app, I took a few extra days after my workout on Sunday and I didn't run until last night.  The tightness was still there but much better than it's been and it resolved quickly after I finished stretching post-run.

So I'm encouraged by how I felt last night and I guess I'll just continue to take it slow.  In all of my athletic pursuits I have never listened to my body.  Pain was to be expected and you just pushed through it; at least that's how I went about things.  That's also probably why I have had knee surgery, two shoulder surgeries, and foot surgery... all on the left side of my body which I find really interesting.

Listening is hard for me but I am also enjoying feeling more connected to my body than I ever have.  I think the only other time I've paid this much attention was when I was pregnant and that was more because I was carrying around a baby that I was responsible and less about paying attention to myself.

Now I just need to start listening to my body in regards to the foods that I eat.  The food thing is a dicey one for me because I can quickly fall into obsessing but I'm hoping that progress in listening when I run will translate to progress in this area as well...

I ran/walked almost 2.5 miles last night on the treadmill and I felt pretty good.  I'm proud of myself for sticking with the plan and making a conscious choice to notice my aches and pains.  Both successes in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment