Sunday, November 25, 2012

On being a beginner...



I know that everyone has to start someplace but it's tough being a beginner; especially when you weren't a beginner at one time.

I'm impatient.  I want to feel healthier, I want to weigh less, I want to run faster and I want to run longer.  I was telling Steve yesterday that the cardio part of the running/walking aren't tough; it's my legs and the lack of running shape they are in.  You can do a million minutes on an elliptical, kick box, do just about any kind of work out... running strength is different. 

The 10k Runner app is great because I feel my legs gaining strength.  It's also sensible and achievable.  But it also makes me a tad impatient because it's only three days of running/walking per week.

Now I have no problem filling up my other days with workouts but I want to be adding up miles instead of contemplating my 10 year downward spiral that has gotten me to where I am today.  It makes me mad at myself and I know that's not healthy.

So instead of stressing over my lack of miles I'm trying to celebrate the little things:
  • like completing Week 1 of the 10k Runner.
  • eating pretty healthy considering Thanksgiving
  • working out and then sewing... priorities!  This is a big one for me!
I still have that nagging I'm-an-out-of-shape-beginner feeling but we all have to start someplace right?

The lesson today is if you are in shape, stay that way.  If you aren't, well we all have to be a beginner to get anywhere... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment