Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Planking


picture credit here

I picked Thanksgiving morning to start a plank workout.  I've known for awhile that these are good for you but good grief they are awful when you first start.  And I'll confess, my abs never returned to their pre-baby shape and yes, I know that was almost 9 years ago. 

But in reading the ultimate authority on all things healthy and workout related, The Internet, I found this blog {which I love BTW} and she shows a bunch of different plank variations.  I've always managed to over-do it and either somewhat hurt myself or full on injure myself in the past so I'm determined to get healthy the right way this time and from what I read, core strength is really important.

I made the best baked pumpkin oatmeal for my family on Thanksgiving morning, we watched the parade, I cooked squash casserole and then it was time for me to go get ready.  I paused at my rolled up workout mat and thought why the heck not...

I unrolled it and spend the next 10 minutes in a variety of plank positions.  It was awful and hard.  And then I got mad at myself for being so out of shape.  So then I did some more planks.  I wrote everything that I did down in my journal and hopped in the shower. 

By the time I was drying off I knew I was going to have a problem with being sore.  I had to sit down on our bed to put my makeup on because every part of my core was shaking too much to lean over the counter in front of the mirror.  Steve came through the bedroom, looked at the workout mat on the floor and I informed him that I wasn't going to be able to stand later on in the day but to to just prop me up on a couch or something.

It turned out to not be that bad but I am definitely sore this morning.  The sad part is that I didn't even do that much.  Here's the rundown:
  • Elbow plank: held for 10 seconds x 6
  • Hip dips from elbow plank: 10 dips per side x 3
  • Up/down plank: 20 up/down x 2
  • Beginner Elbow plank: held for 1 minute x 3
That was it and those numbers hurt my competitive nature more they hurt my abs...

No comments:

Post a Comment