Friday, August 23, 2013

Not for the faint of heart



It's a beautiful morning for a trail ride!  It's almost "cold".

It all started out nice enough.  Trail biking with Steve on a new trail that was supposed to be fairly easy, a beautiful morning, a good night's sleep the night before... what could possibly go wrong?

If you're grossed out by road rash, scraped up legs and a little blood... look away.  The trail we rode was not easy but rather it was super technical.  I'm a decent bike rider but nothing to write home about.  I tend to think I do better on two feet than I do on two wheels.

As I sit here pouring hydrogen peroxide over my leg, I think now would be a good time to discuss why I do better with two feet compared to two wheels.  #notacyclist #doesthiscountascrosstraining #motherrunner

This confirms my theory.  Not gonna lie, it hurt.  But pouring hydrogen peroxide on my legs hurt even worse.  I didn't cry but I came very close.  I spent the rest of Saturday nursing my wounds and eating sushi.

Sunday was long run day with 8 miles on the schedule.  I was definitely sore but I did fine.  I got home, showered and Steve decided I needed to get back on the bike after wiping out so bad the day before.

Got back on the proverbial bike after yesterday's wipeout. Today was great and yes, I'm super tired after running 8 miles this am. Happy Sunday! #motherrunner #imightbe abikepersonafterall

We went to a different trail that was confirmed by a real person to be beginner friendly and thankfully that's exactly what it was!  It was still a blast too.  I'm glad he convinced me to give it another go.

My totals for the day:
8 mile long run
7.35 mile trail ride
Approx 1300 calories burned

This is happening. Stuffed hatch chiles wrapped in bacon!

We celebrated by making chicken stuffed hatch chiles wrapped in bacon.  Amazing and totally worth the calories burned earlier in the day.

I normally hate rest days but today I think it's a pretty good idea. #motherrunner #ouch #sorelegs #marathontraining #halfmarathontraining

Monday was a rest day and while I usually dislike rest days, this one was quite welcome. :)

All in all, it was a good experience.  I still love trail riding mostly because I get to spend quality time with Steve but also for the challenge.  The key is just to stay upright so you don't have to explain your road rash a million times. ;)

11 comments:

  1. Ouch! That looks really painful! Glad you were able to turn it around! Anything stuffed in bacon is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was seriously painful! And I think the worst part were the bruises up the side of my thigh that I'm not going to blog about ;).

      And yes, bacon makes anything better!

      Jennifer :)

      Delete
  2. OUCH! I've had the same look before except mine was from mountain biking. Hope you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so much better! I bet your's was even worse mountian biking! BTW, I always laugh when people around here call the trails we ride on "mountain biking" since we don't have mountaing in Texas... ;)

      Delete
  3. Ouch! WTG getting back out there. I love trail running and one of the reasons is running with my husband who totally prefers trails over streets.

    Thanks for linking up with Fitness Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trail running is a lot of fun! I do prefer it to biking on the trails but like you said, time with the husband is always good.

      Jennifer :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I read this while I was hungry and that chicken looks amazing. Hatch chiles are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! They are the biggest deal around here right now. I love this time of year!

      Jennifer :)

      Delete
  5. Ouchie!! I'm always afraid I'm going to wipe out on my bike and get road rash! Dinner looks delicious! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be really afraid of it too but now that it's happened, strangely I'm not too scared of it anymore.

      Jennifer :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my, road rash...OUCH! Great job pushing yourself on your runs. I totally agree with your friend.

    ReplyDelete